We recognize that providers want to improve HIV care but often lack the quality management knowledge and skills to do so. In response, we implemented a national Training-of-Trainers (TOT) Program to build capacity among quality managers.
The overarching goals of the TOT Program include:
- Expanding the pool of qualified trainers
- Spreading quality management concepts by increasing the number of training opportunities for Ryan White grantees
- Increasing the ability of NQC to refer requests to regional TOT trainers
Overview of the TOT Program:
- Designed for those with a strong background in quality management
- Explores adult learning theories and training resources
- Links participants with quality improvement experts and peers facing similar challenges
- Participants complete pre-work, including online learning and readings of available quality publications, and actively participate in a three-day face-to-face training
- Graduates are expected to lead at least three trainings within 120 days of completing the session
Map of TOT locations as of June 2014.
Successes to date:
- 528 participants attended 1 of 16 TOT sessions so far
- Participants represent 260 Ryan White grantees (or 44.3 % of all grantees)
- Attendees represented 45 U.S. states and territories
- The vast majority of participants agreed or strongly agreed that the TOT Program was effectively designed and organized (91%), and the training was effectively delivered (93%)
- Graduates led a reported 520 trainings representing more than 6,500 attendees across the U.S.
Chart of TOT participants reporting their level of agreement with the statement “are you ready to plan and facilitate a QI workshop?” (n=506)
To learn more about upcoming TOT sessions, review a recent impact study on NQC’s advanced training programs, and access all TOT resources, including slides and our TOT Guide |NationalQualityCenter.org/nqc-activities/advanced-trainings/training-of-trainers-tot-program/
You don’t have a lot of time to spare for training? That’s why we developed the Quality Academy, our virtual modular learning program. The online tutorials allow you to learn anytime you want from anywhere you want. This makes it optimal for training quality management committee members or new staff.
Our Quality Academy tutorials are easy to access, so take one tutorial a day. Since its launch, users have accessed more than 25,000 tutorials across the U.S. and beyond.
Quality Academy overview:
- Over 35 tutorials, each takes 15-20 minutes to complete
- Accessible 24/7 from any computer or tablet with Internet access
- Covers a spectrum of skill levels – from novice to expert
- Available in English and Spanish
- Certificates are available at successful completion
- Slides are available for download, and facilitator notes for later use
- If Internet connection is a problem, we provide a CD-ROM
Topics for these tutorials include:
- Defining quality improvement principles and concepts
- Applying quality improvement methodologies
- Understanding Ryan White Program expectations related to quality management
- Developing and executing a written quality management plan
- Collecting and using HIV performance data
- Leading a quality initiative
To learn online about quality improvement and use the slides to teach your staff |NationalQualityCenter.org/nqc-activities/qualityacademy/